Sunday, February 22, 2009

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow....

Well we are in for more snow! Crazy weather just 2 weeks ago we were having a small thaw- it actually reached in the 40s and about a foot of snow had melted. Then last Wed-Fri we got small snow showers and tonight we are looking at getting 7-11 inches! Oh well what is one to do living in Maine. It's still better than last winter when we accumulated over 100 feet of snow. Before it hits we are heading out to go sledding at a friends house with a super fast sledding track. Should be a blast.

I hope you all had a great Valentine's Day. Hannah and Owen enjoyed their school parties and came home with more candy then they needed so off to work went half of it. By the way who gives Pixie Stixs to 4 and 6 year olds- that is one mean parent- trying to sugar up my kids lol. H and O helped me make cute little cell phone cards with candy buttons for the phone buttons (no sugar in those- ok I'm a hypocrite). They came out really cute if I do say so myself.

Just finishing up school vacation week! We did not go away so planned playdates to keep Hannah busy- 3 of the 5 weekdays were occupied. Thursday had 6 girls from school over- we painted suncatchers, made some jewelry, ate cupcakes and played. Pretty surprised to see some drama between them already at 6 years of age- but overall they got along well. Just a slight glimpse into the teen years- so not ready!

There is a horrible cold going round- a horrible cough that last 2-3 weeks. I had been dodging it at work pretty well, but it eventually caught up to me. Izzy started it- she has been fever free for 3 days- the longest in the past 2 weeks and she slept fairly well last night! Hopefully it is almost over for her. Hannah had 2-3 days of being slightly off and not feeling well and Owen had it for 3-4 days but luckily no croup!!! (at the risk of jinxing myself I think he may have outgrown it). I started last Tuesday with sore throat and cough. Still have the cough and it's a joy to listen to me talk- poor clients who had to try and understand me at work the past few days.

In light of all the sicknesses I realized how sucky our health insurance is. Sorry for this little soapbox moment, but I sure hope this economy turns around soon. It's so frustrating to be working full time (and doing extra shifts) and feel like you can not support your family and keep them healthy. My work changed to a PPO (whatever that means)- so there is no copay, instead you pay a slightly reduced rate for everything and it does go towards your deductible (so supposedly you meet your deductible sooner and then more is covered fully). There is also a Health Savings Account that you deposit into tax free and can use for paying for your visits and pharmacy items. In parts it's an ok plan- however to get a bill saying you owe $100 for the visit you took your sick, febrile daughter in for hits hard when you are living on 1 salary. Guess we will not be going to the doctor for every sniffle and ache we have anymore, which is a bit scary for this over-reactive mother. I see what can happen with some patients that wait it out- now they have a sicker pet and more expenses then if they had just come in when it first started. Oh well cold season should be over soon- right? Plus at least I have some form of insurance- there are many out there (children mostly) who don't have any. Plus for the most part we are healthy. I just feel I'm working hard and getting nowhere. I'm a very educated person-with a doctor's degree, married to a very educated husband with a Bachelors and Masters degree, yet we are struggling- how the #$%&?)@ does that happen?

Sorry for the soapbox. I'll leave you with some photos below.
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Everyday photos 2/09
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

3 comments:

scrappyart said...

Erica, Great smile box.

Kimberly said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and the nice comment. You are appreciated.

Elisha Pharr said...

HI Erica! Thanks for stopping by my blog! The cool rider one is of my daddy! He was such a rebel...lol!